Tottenham rose to the top of the Premier League after strikes from Son Heung-min and Giovani Lo Celso earned them a 2-0 victory over Manchester City. (More football news)
Jose Mourinho celebrated a year at the helm of Spurs with a second straight victory over former rival Guardiola, who hoped to score his new contract with a positive result but has now lost all three of his games at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Son converted a pass from Tanguy Ndombele after five minutes on Saturday and Mourinho’s men, who spent much of the split on the back foot, sealed the triumph when Lo Celso beat Ederson with 25 minutes remaining.
Aymeric Laporte had a first-half goal ruled out for City and they are now eight points behind Spurs, who ended Chelsea’s brief stint at the top of the table.
– Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) November 21, 2020
Spurs got off to a great start when a slick ball from Ndombele found Son, who broke the offside trap and took a touch with his right foot before sending a cool finish with his left between the legs of a hurried Ederson.
Harry Kane had the ball in the net after a superb move involving Son, who was refused by an offside flag.
Aside from those incidents, City controlled proceedings with Ferran Torres, Rodri and Ruben Dias, all forcing routine saves from Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.
The visitors thought they had leveled the game after 27 minutes when Laporte shot, but referee Mike Dean reversed the goal after seeing the monitor, after finding Gabriel Jesus handling Rodri’s cross before moving on to the defender.
City continued to probe without creating a noticeable opportunity before a quick Spurs counterattack saw Kane pass to Lo Celso, the substitute striking a nice left-footed finish past Ederson just 35 seconds after the replacement of Ndombele.
Guardiola threw on England duo Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling with 18 minutes left, but Lloris saved from Dias late as Spurs stood for a memorable victory by the same score to win that game in February.
What does it mean? The city continues to struggle
City had 11 shots against Spurs in the first half and 68.7% possession, and by the end of the game they had won the shooting battle 22-4.
But it was a familiar story for City in many of their away losses since the start of last season, with just five of their efforts to find the target and their game becoming less and less threatening as they went. as the match progressed.
They have scored 10 league goals in eight games and just five in their last six. We now know that Guardiola is staying and he knows there is a lot of work to be done.
Kane puts Spurs in title race
Kane’s assist means he has now been involved in 24 goals in just 15 games in all competitions this season.
His all-round play has been superb all season and his great assist to Lo Celso was one of 22 he completed in the opposing half, a top team.
It’s still early in the season, but four straight league wins for the first time since February 2019 means Spurs are firmly in the title race.
9 – Harry Kane has provided nine assists in his nine Premier League games this season, more than any other player in the division. Kane had provided just eight assists in his three previous league campaigns combined (94 games). Evolution. pic.twitter.com/WGRGA0bKA9
– OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) November 21, 2020
Familiar chess for City
The positioning of Rodri, Joao Cancelo and Laporte may be called into question for Son’s opener, while Ederson has twice charged out of goal, although perhaps of more concern is City’s attacking play.
Jesus and Kevin De Bruyne failed to find the target after 10 combined attempts, while Torres only had one key pass as he couldn’t match his fine display for Spain. The return of Sergio Aguero, an unused replacement in this one after an injured month’s absence, cannot come soon enough.
Key facts about Opta
– Tottenham have won back-to-back league games against Manchester City for the first time in a three-part series between September 2015 and October 2016.
– Spurs will end a day at the top of the Premier League table for the first time since August 2014, as it is the first time they will end a day at the top of the table after at least nine games in a season since January 1985.
– A 12-point return in eight games marks City’s lowest point total at this stage of a Premier League campaign since 2008-09 (10), while 10 goals is their lowest after eight games since 2006 -07 (6).
– City have made 41 shots in their last two Premier League games against Spurs, losing them both without scoring. Meanwhile, Spurs scored with both shots on target in this game.
– Spurs have scored more goals in the first half of Premier League games than any other team this season, with their 11s in the opening 45 minutes being more than what City have scored in aggregate (10).
Tottenham will host Ludogorets in the Europa League on Thursday ahead of a massive clash against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. City are looking to bounce back in Greece as they take on Olympiacos in the Champions League on Wednesday and return to high-profile home action against Burnley three days later.
For in-depth, objective and above all balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine