Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Home World Iran Warns US Against "Strategic Mistake" After Donald Trump Threat

Iran Warns US Against “Strategic Mistake” After Donald Trump Threat


Iranian Foreign Ministry on Monday denied report of assassination plot as “baseless”

Tehran:

Iran on Tuesday warned the United States not to make a “strategic error” after President Donald Trump threatened Tehran over reports that he was planning to avenge the murder of General Qasem Soleimani.

“We hope that they will not make another strategic mistake and certainly in the event of a strategic error they will witness Iran’s decisive response,” government spokesman Ali Rabiei told a conference. TV press.

A US media report, citing unnamed officials, said an alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the US ambassador to South Africa was planned ahead of the US presidential election in November.

“Any attack by Iran, in any form, on the United States will result in an attack on Iran that will be 1000 times the size!” Trump wrote on Twitter on Monday.

Rabiei regretted that “the president of a country that claims world management and order is making hasty, agenda-fueled and questionable remarks on such a weak basis.”

He warned that reacting to such reports “would do nothing other than disrupt the region and the calm of the world” and advised Trump to “refrain from any further adventurism … to win a new term as president. “.

On Monday, the foreign ministry denied reports of an assassination plot as “baseless” and part of “repetitive and rotten methods to create an anti-Iranian atmosphere”.

Relations between Washington and Tehran have been strained since the Islamic Revolution of 1979. They have deteriorated sharply since Trump unilaterally withdrew from a landmark international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018 and reimposed crippling sanctions.

The Iranian navy said last week it took off from US planes that were flying near an area where naval exercises were underway near the sensitive Strait of Hormuz.

The military said three US planes had been detected by air defenses.

One of them was an American RQ-4 drone, the same model as one shot down by Iran in June last year after allegedly violating Iranian airspace – a claim the United States has denied.

(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and is posted from a syndicated feed.)

.



Note: The content and images used in this article is rewritten and sourced from www.ndtv.com

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

U.S. Puts Convicted Killer To Death In 6th Federal Execution Under Trump

The US government sentenced rapist and murderer William LeCroy to death by lethal injection on Tuesday, the sixth federal execution this summer after...

U.S. House Passes Stopgap Funding Bill To Avoid Government Shutdown

WASHINGTON: The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday passed an interim financing bill to keep the federal government in business until December...

Face shields ineffective at curbing coronavirus COVID-19 spread, says Japanese supercomputer Fugaku

A recent simulation of a Japanese supercomputer named Fugaku claimed that plastic face shields are ineffective in curbing the spread of the COVID-19...

At UNGA, US President Donald Trump accuses China of unleashing coronavirus ‘plague’

NEW YORK: US President Donald Trump told the United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday that China should be held responsible for "unleashing" COVID-19...